Next steps in Korsnäs offshore wind farm project
Wind power projects are progressing through numerous phases. They may not always proceed in the same order and some of the phases may be proceeding simultaneously.
The project development phase of the offshore wind farm in Korsnäs is estimated to take around four years. The planning process was launched in 2020. Environmental impact assessment and zoning will start in 2021. The first nature surveys started in spring 2021 and they will be continued in 2022.
The construction of the project will take several years. We estimate that Korsnäs offshore wind farm could be in production by 2028 at the earliest.
Phases of the offshore wind farm project
- Preliminary studies and search for a suitable offshore wind farm area
- Negotiations with the representatives of the local municipality and landowners in the area
- Preparation of land leases for wind measurements
- Wind measurements during a couple of years
- Nature studies for an environmental impact assessment (EIA) procedure, which also takes a year or two
- EIA procedure, during which the effects of the project on the local community, natural values and technical aspects, as well as the means to mitigate possible negative effects are assessed
- Opinion from the Defense Forces
- Auction and choosing a partner company
- Preliminary negotiations with the system operator (TSO) to find suitable solutions for the transmission of electricity to the national grid
- Zoning of the area to suit wind power, zoning and EIA processes proceed together
- Final negotiations with the TSO to connect the wind farm to the national grid
- Applying for a water permit
- Applying for an obstacle clearance in accordance with the Aviation Act
- Technical design, continues throughout the project
- Construction permit
- Earthworks construction
- Acquisition of power plants
- Start of construction
Environmental impact assessment (EIA) procedure
The Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) procedure is based on law and regulation in accordance with the preventive environmental policy. EIA systematically examines the environmental impacts of the target project, together with implementation and mitigation options, as well as the views of various parties.