Korsnäs Offshore Wind Farm
In Decenber 2022, Metsähallitus reached an agreement with Vattenfall for the development and construction of Finland’s first offshore wind project in the open sea area.
The wind farm – with a planning capacity of 1.3 GW and a potential annual production of 5 TWh – will be located at Korsnäs, on the west coast of the country. The wind farm is estimated to be operational in 2030s.
Korsnäs offshore project is a most important new opening towards Finland’s climate goals as well as electricity supply.
Korsnäs offshore wind project
- Korsnäs offshore wind farm is the first in the row of offshore projects to be developed and auctioned by Metsähallitus.
- Investment value will amount to EUR 2 – 3 billion (estimate) when the wind farm is operational in 2030s.
- Generation potential will be approx. 5 TWh, corresponding the annual consumption of more than two million apartment homes with standard equipment level for three persons.
- Nominal capacity of the wind farm will be approx. 1.3 GW, corresponding with 40% of the wind power capacity in Finland in 2021.
- The partner to build and operate the wind farm was selected in an international auction process carried.
- Offshore auction processes are arranged by Metsähallitus in line with its role in managing the state-owned land and sea areas in the country.