Christmas tree permit
With the Christmas tree permit, you can chop down a Christmas tree from a state-owned forest in one of the designated areas. The price of the permit is EUR 10 (incl. VAT. 24%)
Which forests can I get the tree from?
The Christmas tree permit can be purchased for the regions of Lapland, North Ostrobothnia and Kainuu. No permits are sold for Southern, Central, Western and Eastern Finland, as there are relatively few state-owned forests in these regions, and they are spread out. Furthermore, some of the forests are in special use or protected.
The buyer of the permit must make sure that the tree they wish to get is standing on multiple-use forest land managed by Metsähallitus. The easiest way to verify this is by ticking the box for the “Multiple-use forests” layer on the Excursionmap.fi map. Tick the boxes for the other layers as well, to make sure that the area is not subject to other restrictions (overlapping layers).
Make sure that there are no other restrictions on the area you wish to get your tree from. Tick the boxes for all the layers to see the applicable restrictions.
You cannot get a Christmas tree from
- Protected areas or hiking destinations, or other areas in special use (map layers Protected areas and hiking destinations, Sites of high natural value, Research and educational forests, Other special sites; see screenshot.)
- Areas subject to other access restrictions. The access restrictions are indicated by signs, fences, or other obstacles. They are not always marked on the Excursion Map, but instead, they must be acknowledged at the site.
What kind of Christmas tree can I get?
With the permit, you can chop down a tree that meets these conditions:
- The Christmas tree must be no taller than three metres.
- In the municipalities of Enontekiö, Utsjoki and Inari, the tree must be a pine tree.
- The tree must stand no more than 20 metres from a road.
- The tree must stand on state-owned multiple-use forest land used for forestry purposes (check for any other restrictions)
Where can I purchase the permit?
Once you have made sure that the area you want to get your tree from meets the requirements, you can buy the Christmas tree permit from
- The Eräluvat webshop, or
- Science Centre Pilke (Ounasjoentie 6, 96200 Rovaniemi).
The permits are freely available for purchase and limited to 5 permits per customer. If you wish to purchase more than 5 permits, please contact your local Metsätalous Oy forestry expert.
Please note that the Christmas tree permit can only be purchased for the regions of Lapland, North Ostrobothnia and Kainuu.