Metsähallitus is a state-run enterprise (Business ID 0116726-7) whose tasks are divided into business activities and primarily budget-funded public administration duties. Separate business units have been established for different activities.
Metsähallitus' business operations comprise its subsidiaries and the Laatumaa business unit.
Metsähallitus Forestry Ltd
- the company was established on 15 April 2016
- produces some 85 per cent of Metsähallitus’ revenues
- responsible for the management of state-owned multiple-use commercial forests and sale of timber
- customers include the forest industry and other Finnish and foreign companies that use timber as raw material
- forest management is based on the sustainable use of natural resources
- the objective is to encourage a varied use of forest resources.
Laatumaa (business unit)
- prepares area plans, markets, sells and leases land for holiday homes
- is responsible for the acquisition and assignment of real property within Metsähallitus.
- Fin Forelia Oy produces, markets and sells tree seedlings for forests.
- Siemen Forelia Oy produces, markets and sells tree seeds for forests.
- MH-Kivi Oy leases soil extraction sites and sells soil.
Parks and Wildlife Finland (former Natural Heritage Services) unit provides the public administration services of Metsähallitus.
- management of statutory protected areas and other areas reserved for conservation
- protection and care of endangered species
- management of wilderness areas, recreational areas and other special areas
- free-of-charge hiking services for the public
- customer services for Metsähallitus as a whole
- public authority issues relating to nature protection
- game and fisheries supervision
- game, fisheries and off-road traffic permits
- forest tree seed acquisition and security storage
- duties related to floating.