Finnish Board on Ecological Restoration FBER
The Finnish working group for ecological restoration and management brings together experts in nature management
The working group for ecological restoration and management in Finland, known as the The Finnish Board on Ecological Restoration (FBER), is a nationwide cooperation body established by Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
Members include actors in the management of Finland’s natural environments and semi-natural grasslands, researchers and other experts.
Its activities cover habitats on land and in freshwaters, in protected areas, in forests and on agricultural land, whether state-owned or in private ownership. In every case, activities in privately owned areas are performed in cooperation with landowners.
The working group’s task is to evaluate, develop and promote the quality of the ecological restoration and management of natural and semi-natural habitats, and their impact on society. The working group has solid scientific expertise and develops practical expertise by preparing guidebooks on the topic in question, and organising training events and seminars.
Steering group and four expert groups
The FBER consists of a steering group and three expert groups, whose activities promote the implementation of tasks defined for the working group.
Expert groups include the following:
- Finnish Expert Group for Forest Restoration: FBER Forest Group
- Finnish Expert Group for Semi-natural Grasslands: FBER Grassland group
- Finnish Expert Group for Peatland Restoration: FBER Peatland Group
Guidebooks and other materials jointly produced by the FBER
Guidebooks produced by the FBER, published in Metsähallitus' series of publications, are available free of charge in electronic format (see the web pages of expert groups).
- International co-operation: Society for Ecological Restoration (www.ser.org)
- Restoration of damaged ecosystems in the Nordic countires – ReNo (www.reno.is)
- Guide books
- Ecological restoration in drained peatlands (julkaisut.metsa.fi), published in 2014.
- Ecological restoration and management in boreal forests - best practices from Finland (pdf, 5 MB, julkaisut.metsa.fi), published in 2012.
- Back to Nature (www.youtube.com): Habitat restoration work by man and machine. By DocIsland prductions.
- Preserving Heritage Landscapes (www.youtube.com): Continuous work with traditional methods keeps biodiversity flourishing. By DocIsland productions.
- A Change for the Better (www.youtube.com): Results of the Green Belt LIFE Project in northeastern Finland. By DocIsland productions.