Steering Group of the Finnish Board on Ecological Restoration
Organisations responsible for ecological restoration and management, members of such organisations, and their role in the Steering Group for the Finnish Board on Ecological Restoration (FBER):
Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
Ministry responsible for: ecological restoration and management outside protected areas.
- Senior Advisor Ville Schildt, M.Sc. (Agr. & For.)
Ministry of the Environment
Ministry responsible for: ecological restoration and management in protected areas.
- Environment Counsellor Aulikki Alanen, Phil.Lic.
Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland (former Natural Heritage Services)
Responsible for planning and implementation of ecological restoration and management and impact monitoring in state-owned protected areas and protected areas under private ownership, in cooperation with landowners.
- Senior Planning Officer Jussi Päivinen, Ph.D.: 1st Chairperson
- Conservation Biologist Kaisa Junninen, D.Sc. (Agr. & For.): Secretary, Chairperson of the Finnish expert group for Forest Restoration (FBER Forest Group)
- Conservation Biologist Katja Raatikainen, M.Sc.: Secretary, Chairperson of the Finnish expert group for semi-natural grasslands in Finland (FBER Grassland group)
- Senior Planning Officer Jari Ilmonen, Ph.D.: Secretary, Chairperson of the Finnish Expert Group for Inland Water restoration (FBER Inland Water Group)
Natural Resources Institute Finland
Conducts research on ecological restoration and monitoring, related in particular to the Forest Biodiversity Programme METSO.
- Professor Anne Tolvanen, Ph.D.
State-owned company providing services in developing sustainable forest management.
- Lauri Saaristo, M.Sc., Director, Environment and Ecosystems
The Finnish Forest Centre
Responsible for the planning, steering, financing and development of ecological restoration and management.
- Chief Specialist in nature management, Matti Seppälä, M.Sc. (Agr. & For.)
The Finnish Environment Institute SYKE
Responsible for the development of ecological restoration and management methods and the related research and expertise. The Finnish Environment Institute SYKE is responsible for general ecological restoration policies, in collaboration with Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- Leading Expert Tapio Lindholm, Ph.D. 2nd Chairperson
- Project Manager Saija Kuusela
Instructions for monitoring restored forests ans peatlands and sun-exposed esker forest habitats. Hyvärinen, E. & Aapala, K. (eds.) 2009. In Finnish with abstract in English: Metsien ja soiden ennallistamisen sekä harjumetsien paahdeympäristöjen hoidon seurantaohje. Metsähallituksen luonnonsuojelujulkaisuja. Sarja B 118. (pdf, 4.9 Mb, julkaisut.metsa.fi)