Grassland Group of the Finnish Board on Ecological Restoration
The Finnish Expert Group of Semi-natural Grasslands was established as a part of the Finnish Board on Ecological Restoration (FBER). The FBER Grassland Group concentrates on habitats of semi-natural grasslands and issues related to their management.
FBER Grassland Group
- increases the knowledge related to ecology and management of semi-natural grasslands between different stakeholders
- promotes the collection and use of data related on semi-natural grasslands
- designs monitoring schemes for semi-natural grasslands
- takes part in national assessment of threatened habitat types and reporting of EU article 17 concerning habitats of semi-natural grasslands
- promotes the connection between research and practical management
- provides expert knowledge
- organizes courses and seminars.
The members of FBER Grassland Group are experts on semi-natural grasslands in their organizations:
- Parks & Wildlife Finland (Metsähallitus): Katja Raatikainen (chair), Maija Mussaari, Carina Järvinen, Mia Vuomajoki, Tiina Kanerva
- Regional Centres for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment: Leena Lehtomaa, Ritva Kemppainen, Maarit Vainio, Jorma Pessa
- Finnish Environment Institute: Seppo Tuominen
- National Board of Antiquities: Olli Soininen
- Baltic Sea Action Group: Eija Hagelberg
- Nature and Game Management Trust Finland: Kimmo Härjämäki
- City of Hämeenlinna: Heli Jutila
- Agrifood Research in Finland: Marika Niemelä
- Ministry of the Environment: Tapio Heikkilä
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry: Anna Schulman
- Finnish Environment Institute: Janne Heliölä, Juha Pykälä
- ProAgria Advisory Centres: Hannele Partanen
- Regional Centres for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment: Iiro Ikonen, Hannele Kekäläinen
- Parks & Wildlife Finland (Metsähallitus) : Anu Vauramo, Maarit Similä
- University of Turku: Ari-Pekka Huhta
- South Karelia Allergy and Environment Institute: Juha Jantunen
The group has made guidelines for monitoring and inventoring semi-natural grasslands and promoted the compilation of data into a shared-use GIS system.
In 2010 the national expert group on assessment of threatened grassland habitat types joined the FBER Grassland Group. The assessment work of semi-natural grasslands continues by the combined group. In addition, the group assists at the reporting of the EU Article 17.
The group has been active in discussion on management methods and on financing the management of semi-natural grasslands. For the preparation of CAP 2014 the group has compiled several proposals for making better rural development programme and for improving the state of Finnish semi-natural grasslands.
The FBER Grassland Group promotes networks between countries in issues related to semi-natural grasslands.
The group meets 5–6 times a year. In addition one field excursion is usually organized in August.
Contact information: Conservation biologist Katja Raatikainen, tel. +358-40-3540 513, e-mail katja.raatikainen(at)metsa.fi
Instructions for monitoring restored forests and peatlands and sun-exposed esker forest habitats. Hyvärinen, E. & Aapala, K. (eds.) 2009. In Finnish with abstract in English: Metsien ja soiden ennallistamisen sekä harjumetsien paahdeympäristöjen hoidon seurantaohje. Metsähallituksen luonnonsuojelujulkaisuja. Sarja B 118. (julkaisut.metsa.fi)